Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium-size tomatoes, ripe
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- Combine bread crumbs with Parmesan, parsley, chives, tarragon, and pepper.
- Mix onion, seasoned bread crumbs, and melted butter.
- Cut tomatoes in half (horizontally) and seed them.
- Fill with bread crumbs and bake in buttered baking dish for about ten minutes at 350 degrees.
- Starting with room temperature tomatoes reduces cooking time and helps assure a firm tomato is served to guests.
We really enjoyed these stuffed tomatoes. I had Italian Seasoned bread crumbs so I used those. All the flavors worked together well and the additon of chopped onions gave it a nice crunch. Instead of cutting tomatoes in half I sliced a top of the top, scooped out insides and filled with mixture.
This is a really tasty side dish! Will make again!
Perfect side dish! Wonderful use of my Summer bounty of tomatoes! Easy to make, great as made, flexible with minor changes and "Always Great Tasting"! DH & I can't ask for more. I've made a number of times this Summer and will have again tonight. I usually slice the top off, scoop out the insides add some of that to the filling. It gives the filling some tomato flavor and softness. I have used plain bread crumbs, Italian flavored crumbs and herb dressing. All great, when seasoning is adjusted. I've even added 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella to the filling and sprinkled some on top before baking. We "loved" them each and every time. Thank you so much for giving us a "Forever Favorite". :)