1/1 Photo of Papa's Favorite Pasta Sauce
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Growing up, Sunday meant "Pasta" in our home. But believe it or not, Papa never cared too much for the traditional italian "gravy" made with beef or pork. He developed this recipe and loved the lightness of this chicken sauce. So while my friends were having spagetti and meatballs; we were having shells and chicken! You get the benefits of two delicious meals in one; tender juicy chicken and peppers AND pasta sauce in one!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs frying chickens (cut up)
- 4 large sweet red peppers (cut into strips)
- 2 medium onions (sliced thin)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley (chopped)
- 6 cloves fresh garlic (sliced thin)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1Wash, cut up pieces of chicken; pat dry with paper towel.
- 2Season with 1 tsp.
- 3salt; set aside.
- 4In a large saucepan, heat oil and saute onions and garlic.
- 5Add chicken pieces skin-side down and brown lightly.
- 6Add the sweet peppers, tomato puree, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper flakes.
- 7Cover and simmer over low- medium heat on the stovetop for 1-1/2 hour.
- 8Note: Usually, tomato puree suggests adding a can of water.
- 9In this recipe, the water comes from the cooking peppers and chicken which dilutes the puree without additional liquid.
- 10However, if sauce becomes too thick during cooking, add 1/2 can of water (or wine) a little at a time until its consistency is to your liking.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Papa's Favorite Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.5
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 461.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 16.1 g