From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. This is great for parties. We have really enjoyed this recipe. Great with chips or veggies!
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds.
- (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add the onions and mix well.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature.