Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From NZ's Cuisine Magazine.
Make and share this Pan Fried Lamb Backstraps With Roasted Potatoes and Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 medium floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 medium tomatoes, cored
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 1 cup black olives
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 sirloin lamb chops, all fat and sinew removed
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Put everything into a roasting dish just big enough to hold it. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything well so that it is all coated with oil.
- Put into the oven and roast until the potatoes are tender and the tomatoes have collapsed, about 45 minutes. Keep warm.
- Put the oil, pepper, oregano and garlic into a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the lamb and mix well so the lamb is well coated.
- Heat a frying pan until very hot and add the lamb.
- Pan-fry for about 4 minutes on each side until the lamb is medium.
- Remove from the pan and rest while you make the sauce.
- Pour any fat from the pan, put it over high heat and add the wine.
- Let it bubble then add the stock. Bring to the boil, scraping up the caramelised juices from the pan with a wooden spoon, and reduce until it is becoming syrupy. Stir in the butter.
- Slice each lamb shortloin into 4 pieces and serve it on top of the vegetables with the sauce poured over.