Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I usually just make the rice the night before in the rice cooker. The flavors in this rice will make you never want to get take out again!! Warning!! Does not double well, unless you have a restaurant size wok, don't double.
For the rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 small bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups converted rice
For the egg sheets
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
Putting it all together
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, wiped clean, trimmed and sliced
- salt (to taste)
- 4 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 3 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup szechuan sauce (or to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili paste (or to taste)
- 2 -3 teaspoons oriental sesame oil (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh cilantro (to taste)
- Make the rice: In a saucepan over moderately high heat bring the water to a boil, add the bouillon cube, bay leaves, sesame oil, and salt to taste, and stir to dissolve bouillon.
- Add the rice, bring back to the boil, stirring, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Make the egg sheets: In a bowl whisk together the whole eggs, egg whites, and salt.
- In a large non-stick skillet set over moderate heat, warm the oil until it is hot, add the egg mixture, lifting and tilting the pan to coat the bottom evenly with the egg, and let it cook until set on the underside.
- Turn and let cook until eggs are completely set. Transfer to a plate and let cool. Cut into shreds.
- In a wok or casserole set over moderately high heat, warm the 3 tablespoons of oil until it is hot.
- Add the garlic and gingerroot and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the onion, green pepper, carrots, mushrooms, and salt and stir-fry 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and cabbage and stir-fry 3 minutes more.
- Add the garam masala and Szechuan sauce, and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and 1/2 cup water and let cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the rice and egg sheets, and stir-fry until rice is heated through.
- Season with the chili paste, sesame oil, and cilantro.
- Adjust seasonings. Transfer mixture to a large serving dish.