Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is the original paelle recipe as it was given to me by a lady who made it for her Portuguese husband. Modifications I have made: I use chicken breasts and often omit pork, cook the sausage and slice into coins, use Basmati rice, don't peel tomatoes, add a 10 oz box of frozen artichoke hearts to the broth and rice mixture, substitute broth made with chicken granules and I add the shrimp at the end with the peas so as not to be over cooked. I bake the paella in a Dutch oven instead of a roasting pan.
- 2 (2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb lean pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice, raw
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron strand
- 1 lb Italian sausage (about 5 sausages)
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups condensed chicken broth, undiluted (3 - 10-1/2 oz size cans)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 0.5 (4 ounce) jar pimientos
- 2 lemons, cut into 8 wedges
- Wipe chicken with damp paper towels.
- In hot oil in large skillet (10 inch), brown chicken, about 5 pieces at a time, until golden brown all over. Remove chicken as it browns.
- Add pork cubes to skillet and brown well on all sides. Remove.
- To drippings in skillet, add onion, garlic, pepper and oregano; saute, stirring, until onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, rice and saffron; cook, stirring, until rice is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, brown sausage well, turning on all sides, about 10 minutes. Cut in half crosswise. Drain and discard grease.
- Place chicken, sausage and pork in large roasting pan, about 17" x 11".
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf and chicken broth to rice mixture; bring to boil. Add shrimp; spoon mixture evenly over chicken and sausage in pan.
- Bake, covered with foil (tuck foil tightly around), 1 hour.
- If mixture seems dry, add 1/2 cup water. Sprinkle peas over top without stirring. Bake, covered, 20 minutes longer, or until chicken and pork are tender and peas are cooked.
- To serve, turn paella into heated round serving platter or paella pan. Garnish with pimiento slices and lemon wedges.