Recipe by gailanng
A clever Thai cousin of the American caramel popcorn. Recipe created by Chef John at Food Wishes. Try adding a tablespoon of peanut butter to the caramel sauce towards the end of the cook time.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unpopped corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sriracha asian garlic sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- chopped cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Add a teaspoon of oil and the corn kernels to a pot over medium heat and cover.
- Once the first kernel pops, shake the pot frequently until all the kernels have popped.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and add in the peanuts.
- In the same pot, add in the brown sugar, vegetable oil and corn syrup over medium heat, followed by the fish sauce and lime juice.
- Stir this and allow it to cook until thickened.
- Once thick, turn off the heat and add in the Sriracha, baking soda, and lime zest.
- Pour this over the popcorn and peanuts and mix well.
- Spread the popcorn on a baking sheet or two and place in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing it once or twice during that time.
- Allow the sticky popcorn to cool and then garnish with cilantro, if desired.