Recipe by mary winecoff
This Mexican dish has a hot and creamy tomato sauce, seasoned with ground cumin, allspice and red pepper. I used saltines in this dish. Posted for ZWT 4.
Top Review by tbbapplevalley
Excellent. Used to eat this often many years ago, but lost the cookbook that contained the recipe. This is it! My favorite seafood dish, bar none. The blend of spices (along with a lot of drizzled lemon juice) is perfect for the oyster/tomato mix. Thank Mary!
- 1 pint oyster, large
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half, divided
- 2 cups cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- lemons or lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain shucked oysters. Mix oysters and tomatoes. Arrange in an ungreased oblong baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup of the half-and-half over mixture.
- Mix the remaining ingredients except lemon wedges and remaining half-and-half. Sprinkle over oysters and tomatoes.
- Pour remaining half-and-half over crumb mixture. Cook uncovered at 375 degrees until light brown, about 30 minutes. Garnish with lemon or lime wedges.