Recipe by Cookin with Lin
After much trial and error, I came up with this recipe for an easy side salad. When company's coming I don't want to be in the kitchen chopping vegetables, so I make this the day before. The idea for salting the lettuce is from a Cook's Country magazine article, and surprisingly it doesn't make the salad watery!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped, DIVIDED
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped (may use Green Pepper)
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 6 eggs, hard cooked, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3 shakes hot sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup feta or 1⁄2 cup blue cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In large glass salad bowl, layer 1/2 chopped Lettuce, sprinkled with 1/2 teaspoons Salt. Then layer next 6 ingredients in any order you like. Top with other 1/2 chopped Lettuce sprinkled with 1/2 tsp.Salt.
- In separate bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and spread evenly over top layer.
- Sprinkle Cheese and Bacon over all. Refrigerate (8 to 24 hours).
- Toss just before serving.