Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This hassle-free dish is ideal for entertaining or a relaxing breakfast. All the effort occurs the night before. The old-fashioned breakfast bread pudding soaks up the liquid while you're sleeping, and come morning, you just have to put the casserole in the oven.
- 6 ounces bulk turkey sausage (3 oz. each) or 2 sausage links, casings removed (3 oz. each)
- 6 slices potato bread, crusts removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 egg whites
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Coat an 11x7" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Coat a small nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring to break it up, until crumbly and no longer pink. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the bread into 1/2" cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Top with 3/4 Celsius of the cheese. Top with the remaining bread cubes and the sausage. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 Celsius cheese evenly over top.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the egg whites, evaporated milk, 1% milk, mustard powder, and salt. Pour over the bread, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Uncover and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden and puffy. Serve immediately.