Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My hubby always hated chicken breast because he found the meat too dry. He loves this. You can do this with any cut of chicken, or turkey if you prefer.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt, mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (any flavour)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sautee onions in butter, margarine or oil over medium heat, until soft.
- Place chicken breasts in casserole dish and season with salt (or seasoning salt), pepper and garlic.
- Pour mushrooms and sauteed onions over chicken. Cover with BBQ sauce.
- Cover dish with lid or aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour (2 hours if breasts are frozen).
This is an excellent recipe for those of us (like me) who are unsure how to cook chicken while maintaining moisture and flavor. This recipe could not be easier. I even eliminated the mushrooms & onions and just baked the chicken covered in bbq in a glass dish, double covered in foil for 1 hour. It turned out perfectly. We shredded the chicken and put it on homemade pizza crust for a tasty bbq chicken pizza!
I am giving this recipe 5 stars even though my chicken turned out a bit tough. The recipe does not specify whether to use bone-in or boneless chicken breasts. I used boneless. Needless to say that explains why they were somewhat tough after the recommended cooking time of 1 hour at 400 degrees. As I put them in the oven I thought "shouldn't I be baking these at 350 for 45 minutes" I will try the recipe again doing that. Thanks!
This was good and easy to make. It is snowing and I didn't have mushrooms so I left them out because I didn't want to run to the store. I followed the rest of the recipe except I used six 4 ounce boneless chicken breasts. I cooked the onions and garlic and then added the chicken to the pan on the stove. I didn't measure the salt and pepper and used honey bbq sauce but didn't measure that either. This cooked in about 45 minutes and we all really enjoyed it.