Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I like the inclusion of wheat germ in this recipe, and while it uses chicken breasts, fish would/should also work. This is from Fitness magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine bread crumbs, wheat germ, salt, onion powder, sugar and red pepper in a shallow dish or pan.
- Place a wire rack coated with cooking spray on a baking sheet.
- Coat chicken with egg and then dredge in the bread crumb mixture, covering the meat completely.
- Shake off excess and place on wire rack.
- Coat with cooking spray and bake for 35 minutes (don't flip them) or until cooked through.
A family favorite! I've used it for chicken breasts, pork chops and fish. The red pepper is not overpowering but just enough to know it is there. We used to grill the chicken breasts and pork chops, but not since we found this recipe.
Simple and tasty! Perfect!
I just got this same recipe from my Mom who saw it in the newspaper. She tried it and liked it. I just made it last night and we liked it too. Even my picky 3 year old gobbled it up. It is easy to perpare, has a nice crunchy coating and is very flavorful. We'll be making this on a regular basis.