Recipe by ~Paula~
This is a family favorite. I love to make at least three batches of this salsa every year. Family and friends always enjoy a jar at Christmas time! Note: You may change the mix of hot and mild peppers as long as the total amount stays the same.
- 12 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 pint pickled jalapeno pepper, drained and chopped (see my Pickled Jalapenos)
- 1 cup fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (For medium heat, I slice the jalapenos into rings to measure 1 cup, then mince them very fine.)
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cups celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups bottled lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and continue boiling for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle hot salsa into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Wipe jar rims and cap with properly pre-treated lids.
- Adjust lids.
- Process in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes.