Cook1 hr 30 mins
This recipe comes from the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook and it is the best lasagna recipe we have tried. I don't have any trouble finding the page in my cookbook because it has a few stains and looks worn compared to the other pages. The recipe doubles very easily, I use a 9x13x2-inch glass cake pan and it is always filled to the top. Definitely have to have some good crusty bread to sop up the bit of sauce that is left in the pan!
- 1 lb ground beef, I use ground round
- 1 small onion, diced
- 28 ounces tomatoes, I use petite diced
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, I usually omit this
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt, I use garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a dutch oven over high heat cook ground beef and onions until beef is browned and juices have evaporated. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, oregano leaves, thyme leaves, red pepper flakes, garlic salt, and bay leaf, heat mixture until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and spoon off any grease that has accumulated on top of the sauce. Set aside.
- In another dutch oven boil water, add lasagna noodles, and cook until tender. Drain well in colander and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F In a 13x9-inch baking dish add half of the lasagna noodles layering as you go.
- In a small bowl add ricotta cheese and eggs, beat well until combined. Spoon half of this mixture over the layered lasagna noodles and half of the meat sauce. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese over this layer. Repeat layers and bake in oven for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.