Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A variation on the veal shank version of the traditional Italian recipe. The light heat with the orange is great, This works very well with egg noodles/wild rice/and garlic mashed potato.
- 4 beef shanks, cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 large carrots, 1/2 inch
- 1 hot chili pepper, long
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 3 ounces pancetta
- heat oven to 325 degrees.
- dredge the shanks in flour salt and pepper mixture.
- heat olive oil in stainless steel pan and brown beef shanks 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove shanks from oil and add carrots onion garlic celery and pancetta stir together 2-3 minutes and.(pancetta can be fried prior to browning beef to crisp and add back in when adding zest).
- add the herbs and fry 2-3 minutes and then add the chilli pepper and orange zest and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- add the wine and deglaze the pan and boil for 3-4 minutes and then add beef stock and tomato.
- place the beef shanks in the mixture or place all in a dutch oven and place in the oven for 120 minutes.
This was very good and very tender. Got the beef shanks on sale at the supermarket for $2.84 per lbs. Veal would have been 3x's more at the least and it would not have been any better than the beef shanks. Next time I will try with pork shanks, which is our favorite, but harder to find, for some reason.
This is so delicious !!!! The beef shanks are excellent in this dish. Kudos to you for sharing this recipe !!!!!
Ohhhh, that is so good! It's not even done yet, but the house smells heavenly. A small taste of the veggies/liquid was awesome. I couldn't even wait to serve it before reviewing it. Sure hope I can wait the additional one hour cooking time before I dig in... LOL!