Winterfest Slow Cooker Beef Shanks
A terrific way to use that 'odd' cut of beef. Traditionally in my family these were the ingredients to make a hearty beef soup for a cold winter day. Over the years it has been adapted to a full course meal but still served on those cold winter days.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 8 carrots, cut in quarters
- 4 onions, cut in quarters
- 2 turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 6 potatoes, cut lengthwise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 slices beef shank, 1-inch thick
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In 5 qt or larger slow cooker, combine carrots, onions, turnips/rutabaga, potatoes, bay leaf, pepper and thyme.
- Coat beef shanks with flour, place on top of veggies in a single layer.
- Pour in broth.
- Cover and cook at low setting until beef is so tender it pulls away from bones 6 to 8 hours.
- Carefully lift beef and veggies to warm deep platter and keep warm.
- Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid, then blend in cornstarch mixture. (Cornstarch and water).
- Increase heat setting to high; cover and cook, stirring 2-3 times, until sauce is thickened (10-12 min).
- Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon a little of the sauce over beef and veggies.
- Serve remaining sauce in a bowl to add to taste.
- Makes 4 servings.