1/1 Photo of Orzo With Celery, Cranberries and Pecans
Found printed on a package of celery from Cali. A recipe that can be either prepared as a stuffing or served as a side dish (or salad with a few modifications).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 177.44 ml yellow red onion (if desired, use red onion if you choose to prepare this as a salad)
- 354.88 ml diced celery
- 354.88 ml orzo pasta (cooked in vegetable or chicken broth and drained)
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries (reduced from 3/4 cup)
- 118.29 ml pecans (toasted) or 118.29 ml sliced almonds (toasted)
- 44.37 ml fresh basil (fresh only!)
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 0.25 ml salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1STUFFING: Melt butter with olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add diced onion, cooking 4 minutes or until onions are translucent and golden brown.
- 3Add celery; cook 4 minutes longer.
- 4In a large bowl, combine the drained orzo, cooked celery and onion, cranberries, nuts, basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Toss gently.
- 6At this point, if desired, the orzo is now ready to be stuffed.
- 8As a SIDE DISH: Heat up the olive oil and butter in a saute pan on medium heat. Saute the celery, onion and UNCOOKED orzo pasta until lightly browned.
- 9Add 3 cups water or broth and bring to boil. Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer on low for 20 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- 10Remove from heat and stir in the cranberries, pecans, fresh basil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- 11To make it as a SALAD: boil orzo and cook until tender. Drain and rinse under cool water. Drain again. Transfer orzo to a salad bowl. Add the diced onion, minced celery and shredded basil to the pasta. In a small non-reactive bowl, whisk together about 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice (play around with the proportion and amount of oil and lemon juice as desired), salt and pepper. Stir the vinaigrette into the orzo. FYI: the butter is omitted.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orzo With Celery, Cranberries and Pecans
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.0
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 66.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.8 g