Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Looks much more difficult than it really is. Very elegant and easy to make,and such wonderful flavor! Flexible recipe, you can substitute chicken, scallops, crab, or even tofu.
- 16 asparagus, thin
- 1 3⁄4 cups orzo pasta
- 6 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the asparagus until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.When slightly cooled cut into 1 inch lengths.
- Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes, or until al dente.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over fairly high heat and then reduce heat and brown the butter.
- Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook until pink and curled. (about 1 minute per side) Remove the shrimp with a slotted spoon and add to the asparagus. Reserve the skillet with the butter in it.
- Drain the orzo, saving 1/4 cup of the water. Return it to the saucepan and add the browned butter from the skillet.
- Set the skillet back over high heat and add the chicken broth, scraping up the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the stock and the reserved cooking water over the orzo and cook over moderate heat, stirring until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- stir in the asparagus and shrimp and heat through. Remove from heat, stir in the parsley and 1/2 cup of the parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with additional parmesan sprinkled over the top.