Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a great recipe for potlucks--which is where I got the recipe!
- 12 ounces orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled seasoned feta cheese (such as basil and tomato, about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Cook orzo in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite; drain.
- Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add crumbled feta cheese, chopped bell peppers, Kalamata olives, green onions and capers.
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, oregano, mustard and cumin in small bowl.
- Gradually whisk in remaining 1/2 cup olive oil.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to orzo mixture and toss to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- Garnish salad with pine nuts; serve.
I made this for a fourth of july side dish. My mom and I are the only ones who tried it though because there was sooooo much food there. I am rating this from my moms opinion because I had a cold and everything I ate tasted weird. My mom said it was very good, different from traditional pasta salad. thanks for sharing
This was great...flavourful and enough dressing so not dry. I added more orzo and some shredded fresh spinach to the mix. Will do again. Thanks for posting Catherine
I am not a big fan of Kalamata Olives, but after tasting this wonderful recipe, I am re-thinking their practical cooking use. The flavors in this salad are extraordinary!!!