Recipe by threeovens
A quick and nutritious side dish that goes especially well with grilled food. The cooking time is cut down by using a quick-cooking brown rice, but do not use "instant" rice without adjusting the cooking time at the end.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced (about 1 small)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced (about 1 small)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced (about 1/2 a medium)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup brown lentils or 1⁄4 cup green lentil
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, red pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Saute, stirring occasionally until vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes. Lower heat, if necessary, to prevent onions from browning.
- Add chicken broth and increase heat until boiling. Add lentils and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add orzo and pepper to taste. Add another 1/4 teaspoon salt if necessary.
- Stir in brown rice, reduce heat to medium low and cook, covered, 10 more minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Fluff with fork and serve.