Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This makes a very large casserole dish -- so is especially good to take to potlucks and large gatherings. I have never tried to cut the recipe in half -- but I'm sure it could be done without any problem. (I believe I have the size of the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix right -- they are the small boxes)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (16 ounce) jarmedium ortega garden-style salsa
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix (I only use about 1 1 /2 packages)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (the taco blend of cheese works well)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- Brown meat and onion until meat is no longer pink. Drain any excess fat.
- Add taco seasoning, water and salsa. Simmer 5 to 6 minutes until thickened but not dry.
- Add corn and olives.
- Spoon into an ungreased 3 1/2 to 4 quart casserole dish.
- Prepare Corn muffin mix according to instructions on box. Add cheese and chopped green chilies.
- Spread over meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 for 35 minutes or until golden.