1/1 Photo of Oriental Shrimp Salad (Padma Lakshmi)
A delicious low carb salad with marinated shrimp, fresh salad veggies and a tangy asian inspired dressing
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the shrimp paste
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaf
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 12 black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- salt, to taste
- 2 lbs large shrimp, shelled and de-veined
For the vegetables
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 5 scallions, minced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaf, minced (after measuring)
For the dressing
- 1Make the paste: In a blender combine the first 9 ingredients and blend until pureed.
- 2In a bowl toss the shrimp with the paste and let marinate while prepping the vegetables.
- 3Make the salad: In a large bowl combine the 6 salad vegetables.
- 4Make the dressing: In a bowl whisk together the 6 salad dressing vegetables.
- 5Spray a large skillet set over moderately high heat with some vegetable oil and heat until hot.
- 6Add the shrimp and cook, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until just cooked.
- 7Add the shrimp to the salad bowl, drizzle with dressing to taste, and toss.
- 8Divide among serving dishes and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oriental Shrimp Salad (Padma Lakshmi)
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.2
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 190.9 mg
- Sodium 1282.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
hot chili oil