Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious low carb salad with marinated shrimp, fresh salad veggies and a tangy asian inspired dressing
For the shrimp paste
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaf
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 12 black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- salt, to taste
- 2 lbs large shrimp, shelled and de-veined
For the vegetables
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 5 scallions, minced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaf, minced (after measuring)
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh limes or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 dashes oriental hot chili oil (or to taste)
- salt, to taste
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Make the paste: In a blender combine the first 9 ingredients and blend until pureed.
- In a bowl toss the shrimp with the paste and let marinate while prepping the vegetables.
- Make the salad: In a large bowl combine the 6 salad vegetables.
- Make the dressing: In a bowl whisk together the 6 salad dressing vegetables.
- Spray a large skillet set over moderately high heat with some vegetable oil and heat until hot.
- Add the shrimp and cook, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until just cooked.
- Add the shrimp to the salad bowl, drizzle with dressing to taste, and toss.
- Divide among serving dishes and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
I really enjoyed this salad, although I had to make a few changes because I had trouble finding some ingredients. I used basil instead of mint, and just served the dressing and shrimp on a bed of greens instead of the shredded lettuce/cabbage. These substitutions worked well for me, and all the awesome flavors from the dressing and shrimp brought everything together. I liked how every bite seemed to have a different flavor- very nice. [Made & Reviewed for PAC Spring 2013]
This recipe looks a lot like one on the food network site . . . http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/padma-lakshmi/asian-shrimp-salad-recipe/index.html
this is a great receipee my husband @ i enjoyed it very much thanks