Recipe by Manami
This recipe is originally from icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com but as always, have made some changes.
Top Review by mailbelle
Very good! I was waffling between rating it a 4 or a 5 when DH said "This is definitely a 5!" So 5 it is! Instead of leaving the chicken breasts whole, I cut them up into bite-size pieces before browning. And somehow I forgot the brown sugar, but it was still so good! Made for the Unrated Asian Recipe Tag Game - July-August 2009.
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons i can't believe it is not butter
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 green onions, sliced diagonally, in 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup sliced cashews, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons butter, margarine or I can't believe it's not butter spread, apple juice, soy sauce and brown sugar; set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a 12" skillet, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter, margarine or spread over medium-high heat and lightly brown chicken, garlic and scallions.
- Add red pepper flakes.
- Add broth.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken to serving platter and keep warm.
- In same skillet, add soy sauce mixture.
- To serve, pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cashwes.
- Serve, if desired, with hot cooked rice.