Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great recipe, very comforting, healthy desert.
- 1⁄2 cup natural unbleached cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan.
- Combine milk and egg in a bowl.
- Gradually add milk mixture to sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Cook for one additional minute after bubbling starts, stirring constantly.
- Serve warm, place plastic wrap on surface and cool to room temperature or chill thoroughly.
This was just okay for me. I followed the recipe exactly, using soymilk I regularly enjoy, but there was something off about the flavor for me. I used pure vanilla extract too. Can't seem to pinpoint what the problem is. It was an easy and quick recipe though, one that most people here have enjoyed! Thanks for sharing.
Delicious! i've made this three times now. It's so good. It's hard to wait until it's cool. The only thing that i do differently is add some almond extract after removing it from the heat. Fantastic. Thanks for the recipe, Rob!
Have only tried this very warm, not cold or room temp. First time making this type of recipe. From my understanding one should add the vanilla near the end of cooking time, which is what I did with the vanilla in this recipe. I halved this recipe. Two changes though: Silk brand Unsweetened Organic Soymilk plus 1/4 tsp vanilla added to 1/8 cup Eggbeaters. This was in addition to to vanilla the submitter forgot about. Followed the rest of the recipe as stated. Very comforting and soothing and very good for being made with soymilk, which is nice since I have IBS and can't drink regular milk. This was my dinner lol, because I can't chew solid food atm. Thanks for sharing Rob Mitchell. :) I will make this often.