Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
With tangy flecks of orange and moist pieces of date, these fragrant orange muffins are a wonderful morning treat with breakfast!
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Peel rind from orange, being careful to get as little of the white pith as possible and chop finely.
- Remove orange from peel and chop.
- Mix together orange, rind, juice,sugar and dates.
- Mix in egg and sour cream.
- Mix together dry ingredients and add to orange mixture, stirring just until moistened, using as few strokes as possible.
- Fill greased muffin cups two thirds full and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean.
very light and lovely muffins! they did take the 25 minutes prep because of peeling the rind very carefully, etc. and getting the orange removed from peel. it was worth it because my family really liked them. i used dried cranberries because i was out of dates. the cranberries kind of overpowered the nice orange flavor and i will buy chopped dates to use for the next time. i doubled it and had 24 very large muffins and our boys happily snacked on the extras later.