Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Moist, with a light orange flavor, I like to eat a loaf now and freeze a loaf for later. You might consider throwing in some dried cranberries. Don't skip the glaze on this one. From The Upham Hotel & Garden Cottages in Santa Barbara
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 unpeeled orange, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 -5 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed. Chop orange to fine pieces in a food processor. Add chopped orange and sugar to butter mixture; beat for about 2 minutes, until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add sour cream and beat until well combined.
- Pour batter into a greased Bundt pan or 2 (9x5-inch) loaf pans. Bake 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- Drizzle with orange icing, slice and serve.
- For the icing: Mix powdered sugar an denough orange juice to form a drizzling consistency. Mix until smooth.
Five stars all the way.I too was intrigued when I read the recipe. I've been making cakes for over 50 years and this is a new favorite. I only glazed half. The un-glazed half is for toasting for breakfast. A slice in the toaster oven and woweee is it good. Thanks for a great treat.
This is a very nice, soft and orangy poundcake. I added 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup dried cranberries to the batter. I baked mine in a bundt pan. I made a syrup glaze instead of the icing by mixing 1 cup superfine sugar with the juice and zest of 1 orange and I microwaved it for 1 minute. Yum! Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
This is a pretty darn good cake! I realised too late, that I forgot to put the glace on before I cut into it. It just smelled so good while baking I couldn't wait to try it. So moist and had a nice orange flavor. I baked it in a bindt type pan. Next time I'll remember to add the glace. :)