Recipe by Sharon123
Yum! This cake is bursting with the sweet taste of orange!
Top Review by lbandbuggy
Everyone LOVED this cake. Made as directed, used a bundt pan, but it didn't rise very much. But the cake was so good it really didn't matter. For the icing, I used the suggestion from the review from cfletcher - 4 oz cream cheese, 1-1/2 cups of icing sugar, 3 T oj, and 1 T of butter, and I also added some leftover orange zest - and it was outstanding! I will make that icing recipe with this cake from now on - and I will make it together often!
- 8 tablespoons sweet butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease a 10-inch bundt pan.
- Cream the butter and gradually add the sugar, beating until light.
- Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, and the orange zest.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the orange juice to the batter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until sides of cake shrink away from edges of pan and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan, unmold onto a rack, and drizzle with Orange Glaze while warm.
- Cool before serving.
- Orange Glaze: Combine orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a light syrup forms.