- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs; mix well.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in walnuts, dates, and orange peel.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350* for 60 minutes or until done.
- Combine glaze ingredients; spoon half over hot bread.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans.
- Spoon remaining glaze over.