Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 (8 ounce) packagespresliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground round
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- Preheat grill.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and cook for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add mushrooms and salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vinegar, remove mixture from pan.
- Set aside.
- Combine the paprika and the next 4 ingredients (paprika through black pepper).
- Divide the ground meat into 4 equal portion, shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty.
- Coat patties with spice mixture.
- Grill patties 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Place burger patties on muffin halves, and top each burger with 1/4 cup onion mixture.
delicious topping for burgers, i make this often for a quick easy dinner. add a slice of swiss chesse over burgers and place under broiler for a minute to melt, then add onion topping.
This was SUPERB. The flavoring of the burgers themselves were VERY tasty...savory and distinctive, but not overpowering. The mushroom/onion mixture was EXCELLENT...I couldn't help but have a few fork-fulls of just this! Served as directed, open faced on an english muffin, I put a single slice of swiss cheese on top, followed by the mushrooms. One of the few times leftovers were fought over. Thanks so MUCH for sharing!
This recipe is very good! Instead of using only one onion we added 2, then used 1 lb of fresh button mushrooms, added fresh ground black pepper and swiss or cheddar cheese to top, melted. Thanks for posting! Diane