1 hr 5 mins
This is an Emeril dish that my friend Cindy & I served recently at a dinner for 50. Don't let the long list of ingredients & directions scare you. It actually comes together easily. We prepped all the veggies in advance & prepared the chicken while the rice was cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Cheesy Rice Pilaf
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 lb fontina (we used fontina) or 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, diced (we used fontina)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley, garnish
- 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips (or use chicken tenders)
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 1Cheesy Rice Pilaf:.
- 2In a heavy, medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.Add the chopped onions and bell peppers and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add rice, salt, and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and stir.
- 3Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add the peas, cover and continue simmering until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and fluff the rice with a fork. Stir in the cheese and parsley.
- 5In an electric skillet or a large heavy skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels.
- 6Season the chicken with the Essence, and add to the fat in the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.Transfer to a plate.
- 7Melt the butter in the pan. Add the onions and pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add the chicken, lower the heat, and simmer until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the bacon and green onions, and stir well.
- 9Remove from the heat and serve over the Cheesy Rice Pilaf.
- 10Garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for One Pot Chicken Dish over Cheesy Rice
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 803.3
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 182.8 mg
- Sodium 1558.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 52.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Emeril's Original Essence