Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
Tasty white bread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- Mix the margarine, sugar, and salt into the warm water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon flour and the yeast.
- Wait 5 minutes; if yeast does not bubble buy new yeast.
- Put flour in a large bowl; stir in yeast mix.
- Stir thoroughly; turn onto a floured board and knead.
- Knead in as much of the flour as possible to make a satiny dough; if dough is sticky add more flour a tablespoon at a time.
- Put dough in a greased bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover with a clean damp towel and let rise til double.
- Punch down; shape into loaf and put in greased loaf pan.
- Let rise.
- Bake at 375 for 50 minutes or until bottom sounds hollow when thumped.
- Can also be shaped into 12 dinner rolls or 8 hamburger buns.
- Bake for less time if using these shapes.
This was a slightly sweet, moist, tasty bread. I took the warm water and dissolved the yeast and proofed it for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, I put butter, not margarine, sugar and the salt in a mixing bowl. After the yeast was foamy, I added it to the mixing bowl and gradually added a cup at a time the flour and kneaded it in my KitchenAid mixer till smooth and elasticy. I put it in a greased bowl with a damp cloth and let it rise until doubled, turned it onto a floured cloth, rolled it out to a rectangle, folded it and placed it in a loaf pan and let it rise again and then baked it at 350 for 30 minutes. Wonderful bread!
I've made 4 loaves of this already and it is absolutely wonderful! When you eat this bread, you just know life it good. I doubled the recipe very easily both times I made it. Thank you very much for posting this.
Ok, today I make my first loaf of bread EVER! I will report the results! Kind of surprised by margarine in the recipe. I didn't think anyone used that anymore. I'll use butter.