Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
What I particularly love about this salad, beside it's taste, is it's flexibility. With the exception of the olives, have to have those, the rest of the recipe can be followed as written, or a portion of a jar of pickled vegetables can be used, drained and coarsely chopped. Cooking time is the marinating time for the olive salad.
Olive Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup pimento stuffed green olive, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, drained, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup pickled cauliflower, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon pepperoncini pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb Italian bread
- 8 ounces genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mortadella, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Mix all of the olive salad ingedients together, and refridgerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before spreading on bread. Spread generously on bread slice, then layer meats and provolone cheese, topping with mozzarella cheese. Top filling with another slice of Italian bread and serve, or may wrap in foil and heat in 325 degree oven for 15-20 mins, or may heat under broiler until cheese is melted. Watch closely.
- Note: May use crusty bread of choice. Also, may hollow out solid loaf of bread of choice and fill, according to directions.
- Peperoncini is an Italian sweet pepper with a touch of heat, and is usually found pickled in jars.
- Mortadella is an Italian lunchmeat similar to olive loaf, but has chunks of fat in it, instead of olives, and olive loaf may be used in lieu of the Mortadella.
- Salad ingredients may be coarsely pulsed in a food processor, but one should avoid a paste or pesto consistency.