Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderful hearty stew, serve with her other recipe Potato Casserole that I posted!
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ground allspice or 1 dash ground cloves
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Brown meat in hot oil.
- Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and garlic clove.
- Add carrots and celery.
- Cover and cook 30 to 40 minutes longer.
- To thicken gravy, remove 2 cups hot liquid. Using a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch until smooth.
- Mix with a little hot liquid and return mixture to pot.
- Stir and cook until bubbly.
This recipe is similar to the Old New Orleans Irish Stew that I have made many, many times for my family.The difference is that the meat was seasoned, then dusted with flour.I also added i chopped bell pepper with onion and celery to the pot with meat drippings and sauteed them before adding any liquid.Cornstarch was added if needed to thicken.Otherwise the recipe was a beginning for stew. The taste was very good either way. Cooking time was the same. Sometimes I added diced potatoes and carrots to give the stew more body.
Everyone I make this recipe for raves and raves... It is awsome. I do Italianize it a little. A change a few things. I dont add water, I add beef broth, dont add sugar or celery. I dont do the cornstarch thing either. When it is done cooking I add potato gnocchi to turn it into meat and potatos. This recipe gets the highest raitings in my house.
I made this stew when visiting my parents. We all loved it! Great recipe. My dad is specifically asking me to make it again the next time I visit. My mom even went back for seconds and that is a rare thing.