Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is my all-time favourite thing that my mother cooked while I was a child. I still ask her to make it for me whenever I see her. We even had it one year for Thanksgiving! She got so tired of making it, she forced me to learn the recipe when I was in college. If you tend to shy away from bacon grease, you can substitue butter...but in my opinion it will compromise the flavour. I wouldn't changed a thing. This is all Mom!
- 1 lb round steak
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Cut steak into serving pieces.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper, and sprinkle on steak.
- Pound steak down on both sides, to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Brown the steak with the bacon grease in a large skillet.
- Combine tomatoes (undrained), onion, green pepper and garlic powder.
- Pour over steak and bring to a slight boil.
- Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, occasionally stirring and adding water as necessary.