Recipe by French Tart
Little wibbly-wobbly ruby red jellies with mixed summer berries, so cooling and great with ice cream. There is nothing I love more than taking a basket to the end of my garden to pick an assortment of ripe summer berries when they are in season! The sense of satisfaction at picking your own fruit is wonderful. Although I have called these little jellies “English” summer berry jellies, I DO make these in France of course - it's just that the berries remind me of my grandparent's gardens and picking the fruit when I was little…………...plus, the combination of berries is the same as a traditional English Summer Pudding recipe! I make these in little vintage metal moulds, they look so pretty served this way; you can of course make this recipe in a large mould, but DO allow extra time for the jelly to set.
- 6 sheets leaves gelatin
- 600 ml raspberry juice (or red fruit juice of your choice)
- 60 g caster sugar
- 350 g mixed berries (preferably strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants and redcurrants.)
- vanilla ice cream or cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the leaf gelatine in a shallow dish and pour over just enough raspberry juice to cover the surface. Leave to soften for 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining raspberry juice and caster sugar in a saucepan until piping hot. Mix in the softened leaf gelatine and any juice, stirring until completely dissolved and then set aside to cool.
- Halve the strawberries and mix with the other berries and soft fruits, crushing them slightly.
- Rinse 6 small jelly moulds or one large jelly mould, but do not dry as a wet mould will make it easier to remove the jelly when set.
- Distribute the fruit around the mould/s. Pour over around 300ml of the jelly juice and place in the fridge for an hour. When slightly set, pour the remaining juice into the mould and return to the fridge.
- To turn out the jelly, dip the mould/s into a bowl of hot water and run a knife around the edge of the mould. Invert them onto the serving plate/s, give them a quick shake and the jelly should slide out easily.
- Serve the jellies with vanilla ice cream or cream.