Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Woman's World Magazine 10/26/04. Red wine adds grown-up, sophisticated flavor to this hearty autumn stew filled with tender beef, sweet potatoes, and parsnips.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine flour, 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper. Add beef; toss.
- In pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pot.
- To same pot add onion, garlic and remaining salt and pepper. Add w ine, scraping up browned bits from bottom. Stir in water, broth, Worcestershire, bay leaves and beef.
- Cover, simmer, stirring occasionally, 50 minutes. Uncover; add parsnips, potatoes and oregano. Simmer until tender, 35-40 miutes. Remove bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.