This is a wonderful rabbit dish from my Armenian friend Dina. It is so tasty. A great dish for special company. Everyone will want this recipe. Well worth all the effort.
- Chop rabbit into 12 pieces, discard the head and feet.
- Chop the onion and garlic finely.
- Slice and dice the bacon.
- Make a bouquet garni by tying together the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with string.
- Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole.
- In the same pan, fry garlic, onion and the bouquet garni.
- Add the bacon and allow to color lightly.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Return rabbit to pan and deglaze with the red wine.
- Add 3 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Peel small onions and remove root ends.
- Rinse well.
- Cook the onions in water to cover, add sugar, butter, salt and pepper.
- Cook until all water has evaporated and the sauce is caramelized.
- (20 min) Peel and cut potatoes into narrow rectangles.
- Add potatoes to rabbit stew after the stew has been cooking for 90 minutes.
- Cook covered until tender.
- Serve stew with caramelized onions and garnish with chopped chervil.
I love rabbit and this recipe was LOVELY! I made this rabbit stew with an already jointed rabbit, and with my own bouquet garni, I always have some made up from the herbs in my garden! This recipe is very similar to my own rabbit stew recipe, however, the addition of the caramelised onions gives this stew a real inspirational lift, and one that we BOTH loved! Chervil is NOT seasonal right now, so I could not use that - but I will next time. Thanks Baby Kato for a wonderful, rustic and very hearty rabbit recipe. Made for Photo Tag. FT:-)
I cooked this once before and just fell in love with this recipe. Our kids even loved it and wanted us to make it again. So here I am making it again... thank you so much to who ever added this recipe...
I cooked rabbitt for the first time. and used your recipe. and I went to a wild game dinner with it and was told it was great. also I won a prise for most unusal dish. there was only to catagories best tasting and most unusal dish. I was up agenst deer, elk and turky. thank you