Recipe by lazyme
This sounds like a great comfy meal on a chilly day. It can be made on the stove top or in a crockpot.
Top Review by breezermom
I used the dutch oven and stove top method, and this made for a delicious meal on a beautiful October day. I used Conecuh smoked sausage instead of Knockwurst....just a personal preference. The apples added a sweet touch, and were perfect with the sausage. Thanks for sharing! Made for "For Your Consideration" game.
- 1 (32 ounce) package sauerkraut, drained
- 5 large red potatoes, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs knockwurst, chunked
- caraway seed, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (to 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 large granny smith apples, cored, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Layer in either a Dutch oven for stove top cooking, or in a crockpot.
- Begin with potatoes, then sauerkraut, then a sprinkling of caraway seeds and half the brown sugar, then the apples, then the knockwurst, then the chicken broth, then the rest of the brown sugar.
- Cover and cook on low for stove top, for 2 hours.
- If using the crockpot, cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.