Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
You are gonna love these ! Trust me, No, I mean it Trust Me !! The name of this recipe comes from the two sugars.
- 10 cups cucumbers, scrubbed and cut into chunks
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced (I like to use pearl onions )
- 1⁄4 cup coarse salt
- 3 cups cracked ice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2⁄3 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Combine the cucumber chunks, onions and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cover with the ice and put a weight on top ( A plate with a gallon of liquid works well) Allow to stand for 3 or 4 hours and drain well.
- Combine vinegar, sugars and spices in a large pot and add drained vegetables.
- Place on medium low heat and bring to almost a boil, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stuff into hot sterilized jars and add brine leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.
- Prep time includes standing time.