Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another treat for breakfast or anytime.
- 3⁄4 cup quick oats, uncooked
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold, cut up
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fat-free buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons pecans, toasted and chopped
- Bake oats in a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan at 400 F for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- Combine oats and next 5 ingredients.
- Cut butter into oats mixture with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Stir together 2/3 cup buttermilk and egg. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Shape dough into a 7 1/2 inch circle.
- Combine 3 TBSP sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Brush dough with 1 1/2 TBSP buttermilk. Sprinkle with sugar mixture and pecans.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into 8 wedges and serve immediately.
A pleasure to eat and healthy to boot, how can you go wrong? This recipe makes very nice scones that have very good flavor but aren't loaded with fat. I used Splenda for the sugar, soured fat free milk with lemon juice and mixed all purpose flour 50/50 with whole grain. Made for Pic A Chef, Spring 2013.