Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A hearty, creamy oatmeal with extra protein makes a filling tasty breakfast. No eggy taste here! I used a medium egg because I accidently had them, you could probably double and keep the egg at 1.
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon maple syrup or 1⁄2-1 tablespoon brown sugar
- soak the oats in 1/2 cup water overnight (i add a spoonful of plain yogurt to make more digestible).
- in the morning add the other 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil, stir in cinnamon and simmer about 5-10 minutes until thick and tender, stirring occasionally.
- at the very end turn off heat, crack the egg into the oatmeal and stir stir stir until smooth and creamy. the heat from the oats cooks the egg.
- add the sweetener of your choice and top with fruit or nuts if you want.
- *the soaking overnight is totally optional! i do to cut down on cook time.
Seriously...everyone should try this oatmeal!!! I stumbled upon this recipe last night, and I have to admit, I was pretty skeptical...it sounded so weird! But I love to try different kinds of oatmeal all the time, and my curiosity got the better of me, so I made some this morning for breakfast. And WOW! It is SO, SO, SO good!!! (I added some sliced peaches and only used 2 tsp of brown sugar.) What a great way to get some extra protein in the morning along with the yummy grains I love to eat for breakfast! Thanks for the recipe! I think this will become a daily habit!