Prep 2 hrs 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These fairly quick and easy to make rolls are one of my mom's standards.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In saucepan bring water to boil; add oats and butter. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- In mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oat mix, sugars, salt and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 18 balls; place in 2 greased 9 inch round pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from pans to wire racks.