Mrs Joshi's Note:
Adapted from a 2003 recipe I found in the Houston Chronicle. Can be vegan if you use vegan chocolate chips and margarine instead of butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat and reserve. In a small bowl, sift or stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk the ground flax seeds with warm water till it forms an egglike mixture. Alternatively, you can microwave the flax-water mixture for 15-30 seconds to achieve the same effect, then add the mixture to a large bowl.
- 4Using a wooden spoon, mix in the sugars. Add melted butter to flax mixture and stir until mixture is smooth.
- 5Stir in maple syrup and vanilla, then stir in flour mixture. Finally, stir in rolled oats and chocolate chips. Dough will be thick.
- 6Scoop up tablespoon-size dollops of cookie dough and place on a nonstick baking sheet, spacing dollops about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven and let sit for a minute or two on baking sheet to firm up. Then, using a spatula, transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- 8Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to four days, or freeze in freezer bags or an airtight container for up to two months.
- 9TIP: To prevent the cookies from spreading too much, refrigerate the dough for 10-15 minutes before scooping it onto the baking sheets. Also, while one batch is baking, you can arrange the next on another sheet and refrigerate it till the first batch is done.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Eggless)
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.8
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.1 mg
- Sodium 110.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 21.9 g
- Protein 3.5 g