Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This unlikely sounding combination makes a wonderful moist chocolatey cake that is great for snacks or lunches. It's a family favorite.
- Pour the boiling water over the oatmeal in a large mixing bowl.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add the margarine to the hot mixture.
- When the margarine is melted add the two sugars and mix well.
- Mix dry ingredients and add to oatmeal mixture along with about half of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into 9x13 inch pan and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and the nuts Bake in 350 degree oven 40 minutes or until done.
I love this cake! So easy! My mom used to make this while I was growing up and it was such a treat. Now I make it for my family with the same great results. I used real butter instead of margarine and I used walnuts in the topping. Thanks for posting!
this is a simply fantastic cake. very simple and oh so moist