Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This bread tastes delicious toasted and slathered with your favorite jam, jelly, or marmalade.
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Let cool slightly.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions for placing oat mixture and remaining ingredients into bread pan; select bake cycle, and start bread machine.
Excellent bread. I used 2 Tbs Splenda Brown Sugar and 1 Tbs of regular Splenda, 2Tbs heart healthy margarine and 1/4 c of egg white. Along with this I replaced 1 cup of white flour with whole wheat. I got a wonderful tasting bread which slices beautifully even while still slightly warm. It would be too sweet for me to use for sandwich's unless you were making PBandJ's. As breakfast toast it will be wonderful. Very simple to make even though I oven bake all of my breads.
made exactly as written, and had a great high raised loaf of bread with light flufffy texture. a keeper for sure :)