Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
- 2⁄3 cup pecans or 2⁄3 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) bag mixed baby lettuces and spring greens or 1 head bibb lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 red pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 3⁄4 cup blue cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- In a skillet over medium heat combine pecans and 3 tablespoons sugar. Cook and stir until the sugar melts and caramelizes about 3-4 minutes. Carefully transfer coated pecans to a sheet of wax paper or foil. Let cool; break into pieces.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large serving bowl layer lettuce, pears, blue cheese, avocado and green onions. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cooled pecans and serve.