Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is very simple and very delicious (and cheap too). Even my kids liked it. I am sure that this would be an excellent base for a clam soup.
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 2 quarts water
- 1 leek
- 1 medium onion
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- Place water in a large pot, roughly cut (do not peel) potatoes into water. They don't have to be uniform in size.
- Cut Leek, lengthwise into 4 strips then cut with scissors into 1/4 inch pieces into potatoes.
- Chop Onion and Celery into 1/4 inches pieces; add to potatoes.
- Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Put over medium heat and cover for half an hour.
- Fry bacon and let it cool, when cool crush into tiny pieces.
- Add spices and butter, stir and mash potatoes with a masher or immersion blender ( I prefer to see the skins so I use a masher).
- Add Half and Half, cheese, and bacon; stir. Taste and adjust (salt and pepper).
- Return to heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- To freeze let the soup cool and pour into freezer safe containers and set in the freezer. I recommend quart sized tubs or pint sized zipper bags.
- To reheat let the soup thaw over night in the refrigerator, there may still be small ice chunks, and reheat slowly on the stove with a little added water or in the microwave in a safe bowl. Enjoy!