Recipe by noway
Posted for ZWT 6. Adapted from norway-hei.com Can be enjoyed warm or chilled. Number of servings is an estimate.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Delicious! Just what I was looking for. I had some frozen rhubarb that I was wanting to use up and was craving a tart topping for vanilla ice. This recipe fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rhubarb
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat water and ¾ cup sugar to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Add fruit. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes, until rhubarb is tender.
- Mix ¼ cup water and cornstarch; stir into rhubarb.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute and stir over medium heat. Note: Rhubarb will burn if not stirred! Stir in vanilla extract.
- To serve:.
- If using glass serving bowls, be sure to temper with warm water first, otherwise the glass will crack.
- Pour into serving bowl or individual dessert bowls.
- When ready to serve, beat whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl until stiff.
- Pipe cream through decorators' tube or spoon onto rhubarb compote.