Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An Alaska homemaker won top prize with these buttery bars with the cream cheese filling.
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup regular margarine
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and walnuts; mix well. RESERVE 3/4 cup mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake in 350°F oven 12 to 15 minutes.
- Beat together sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in egg, milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Spread over baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake in 350°F oven 25 minutes or until done. Cool in pan on rack. Cut in 2 inch squares. Makes 16 squares.
- Country Fair Cookbook.
This was easy and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!