This is a recipe from the book "365 Ways to Cook Pasta". It was so amazingly delicious I had to share it! We served this with pork chops marinated in leftover dumpling dipping sauce from the Blue Ginger cookbook. The meal came together very quickly and would be delicious and a neat presentation for company. One word of caution: an extra pair of hands can be very useful when turning the pancake. Also, I used Hodgesdon Mill Whole Wheat Fettucini with Milled Flax Seed since that was what I had on hand, and it was AWESOME! Increase the cooking time when boiling and when making the pancake if using a thicker noodle like that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces Chinese egg noodles or 8 ounces thin spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch about 1 lb broccoli, trimmed and cut in florets
- 1Tamari Walnuts:.
- 2To make the tamari walnuts, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the walnuts and stir-fry until fragrent, about 10 seconds. Sprinkle with tamari or soy sauce and stir-fry until coated and crisp, about 20 seconds. Do not overcook. Spoon onto a plate to cool.
- 3Pancake and Broccoli:.
- 4Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- 5Place the noodles on a clean kitchen towel and blot to remove excess moisture. Return noodles to cooking pot and toss with 1 t sesame oil. Set aside.
- 6In a small bowl, stir the remaining teaspoon sesame oil, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- 7Select two large heavy skillets, or a skillet and a wok. Heat 3 T oil in each pan.
- 8Add the noodles to the skillet, arranging them in a uniform layer. Cover and cook over med-high heat 5 to 6 minutes, shaking skillet occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 9To the wok or second skillet, add the ginger, garlic and red pepper. Stir-fry until fragrent, about 20 seconds, taking care not to burn the garlic. Addd the broccoli and stiry fry until coated with the oil and sesasonings. Cover and cook over med heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Add the sauce mixture and stir to coat. Stir-fry over med heat until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 10When the noodle pancake is browned and crisped on one side, place a large platter or lid on top of skillet and carefully invert so that pancake is crisp-side up on plate. Slide the pancake, crisp side up, back into the skillet and brown the other side, covered, over med-high heat about 3 minutes.
- 11To serve, transfer the moodle pancake to a platter. Spoon the broccoli mixture on top and sprinkle with the tamari walnuts. Use a large spatula to cut into wedges and serve immediately.
- 12For Vegan option use eggless pasta.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Noodle Pancake With Stir-Fried Broccoli and Tamari Walnuts
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.5
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.0 mg
- Sodium 859.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.9 g